05 Dec

England questioned the strength of their bio-secure environment in Cape Town after a South African player tested positive for Covid-19, forcing the postponement of the first One-Day International that was scheduled for Newlands on Friday (4 December). 

The game was moved to Sunday just an hour before it was due to start after the result of the positive test. The future of the tour lay in the balance until Friday evening when the South African team tests all proved negative. 

Both teams are staying in the same hotel, though they have been kept separate, apart from when they are on the pitch. 

“England have expressed a concern and questioned the confidence they have in the bio-secure environment and rightfully so if there is a player who has tested positive having contracted the virus in the last week. We respect that concern,” South Africa team doctor Shuaib Manjra said in a video released on Friday. 

“Clearly there has been some sort of breach, which we have investigated extensively to determine where this happened. We have spoken to the player, looked at security cameras and other information, and we have not been able to date to identify where that source was. But clearly it is cause for concern.” 

Manjra denied that any player had left the team hotel without authorisation. 

“I can categorically state that no player is able to leave the hotel environment. The security will not allow the player to leave, unless he is doing so in an assigned, official vehicle.” 

Saturday’s tests revealed no more positive cases, so the tour will continue. 

Managing Director of England Men’s Cricket, Ashley Giles, said the decision to retest players is the right one, but did not comment on the potential breach at their hotel. 

“On behalf of the England touring party and the ECB, I would like to thank Cricket South Africa for their collaborative approach to postponing today’s One-Day International,” he said in a media statement. 

“Our number one priority is the health and safety of the England team and management group, and the correct decision was made following discussions between the two Boards and respective medical teams.” 

John Stephenson 


#Cricketnews #CSA #ECB #Covid-19

* The email will not be published on the website.